- equal sign
- nouna sign indicating that the quantities on either side are equal• Hypernyms: ↑sign
* * *Math.the symbol (=), used in a mathematical expression to indicate that the terms it separates are equal.Also, equals sign.[1905-10]
* * *equal sign or equals sign nounThe symbol =, which indicates that two (numerical) values are equal• • •Main Entry: ↑equal
* * *equal sign,a sign used especially in mathematics and logic to show the equality or sameness of two quantities or things. Examples: 5 + 5 = 10 means that 10 and 5 + 5 are equal in quantity. The statement A = B means that A and B are identical things. The equal sign is used in this dictionary to show equivalent terms in the language.
* * *noun, pl ⋯ signs [count]: a symbol = used to show that two numbers are equal
1/2 = 2/4— called also equals sign
* * *the symbol (=), used in mathematics
I would get everything over to one side of the equals sign.
Useful english dictionary. 2012.
Look at other dictionaries:
equal sign — equal signs N COUNT An equal sign is the sign =, which is used in arithmetic to indicate that two numbers or sets of numbers are equal. (in BRIT, also use equals sign) … English dictionary
equal sign — n. the sign (=) used to indicate that the terms on either side of it are equal or equivalent … English World dictionary
equal sign — equal ,sign or equals ,sign noun count the sign = used in mathematics to show that two sets of numbers are the same in quantity or amount … Usage of the words and phrases in modern English
equal sign — noun A symbol ( = ) used in mathematics to indicate that two values are the same, and elsewhere in various other ways, such as (formerly) to separate the signature from the content of a telegram. <!NOTE: equal sign is not a computing term. In… … Wiktionary
equal sign — e′qual sign or e′quals sign n. math. the symbol (=) used, esp. in a mathematical or logical expression, to indicate that the terms it separates are equal • Etymology: 1905–10 … From formal English to slang
equal sign — Math. the symbol (=), used in a mathematical expression to indicate that the terms it separates are equal. Also, equals sign. [1905 10] * * * … Universalium
equal sign — noun Date: circa 1909 a sign = indicating mathematical or logical equivalence called also equality sign, equals sign … New Collegiate Dictionary
equal-sign — ˈ ̷ ̷ ̷ ̷ˌ ̷ ̷ noun also equals sign or equality sign : a sign = indicating mathematical or logical equivalence … Useful english dictionary
Equal sign — Знак равенства … Краткий толковый словарь по полиграфии
equal sign — symbol indicating mathematical equivalence (2+2=4) … English contemporary dictionary